Friday, November 28, 2008

Sweet dreams are made of these




There are places that I sometimes visit in my mind. They are fully formed worlds with every little detail worked out, and I don't know quite how they got to be so vivid and perfect. A theory is that I may have imagined them when I was a kid and they have just become so ingrained in my brain that I can access them as if they were real memories.

This is definitely beside the point.

Lately, I have been needing an escape. And I have this unexplainable affinity for water. So the place my mind has sometimes been visiting has been this beautiful shoreline. It's around dusk, there is a soft wind blowing, and the colors are royal blue and purple, in the sky and glistening on the water. There are dark craggy rocks that form small cliffs and shelters. I can almost feel the sand on my feet and smell the salt in the air. It seems to be so halcyon and serene...and I actually visited this place in my dreams last night. It was a meeting place for me and a friend, and I had thoughts about the next place I should be in the future. I'm not sure what this all means, but I feel better after putting it out there.

Today is Black Friday, and it's one of the first times I've not had to worry about a Nutcracker performance tomorrow. I'm at home in Ohio, and I have designated this time as a period of absolute healing for me. I need to sleep, rehydrate, and be properly fed. All the while having no obligations other than family and friends. And it has been so great so far.

There are many possibilities open for the future, and it is so exciting to sit back and imagine what may happen. Hopefully with the new administration we will see some changes in the arts community, with a higher emphasis being placed on art in general. I don't think people realize that in these economically depressed times, we need art now more than ever. We need a place to find solace, to escape, to be moved, even to be angry with. I can only hope that people will begin to see the light soon.

There is so much to say, but too little time and not the right words to say.

There has been a lot of talk amongst the family about going to the inauguration. I hope to be a part of it since I am me
rely half an hour away from DC. What a party that will be :)

No comments: